Thursday 26 February 2009

Thankyou Hilary!


I have just added my small Witch Hazel Lamp to Etsy. I must just tell you about my friend Hilary Roberts who made the ceramic jug in the photo. Her stuff has featured in a lot of my photos lately. Now if she had a website I'd send you to it right away but she hasn't at the moment. She's doing an MA in Cardiff and I'm looking forward to seeing her new work! I have a lot to thank Hilary for. We used to work at Northlight Studios together a few years ago. It was fun there. It was (and still is) a shared space of about 20 artists. We'd have long lunches (sometimes way too long) and good conversations and bounce ideas off each other. I was right at the beginning of my artistic career and Hilary was an established maker with work in all sorts of galleries including the V&A. At the time I was making papercut cards and was looking for a way to progress my ideas. It was Hilarys idea that I tried making lamps! I saw my future flash before my eyes! I'm glad I listened to her! It was a GREAT idea! She held my hand and helped me approach some galleries and things grew from there.

3 comments:

Kate Boyce said...

I second that. she was certainly great at making you feel good about your work and yourself. She still is( whenever I manage to get in touch ). Glad she lived here even though she was never destined settle. I do feel lucky to have met so many creative mentors in this town!

Anonymous said...

This is my first time here at your blog. Your lamps are incredible! My mother has made han ji lamps before, and these remind me of hers. Lovely!
xo,
Linnea

lotta said...

the witch hazel design is both simple and striking - lovely. I wish I could see more of Hilary's work...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...